Diagnostic laparoscopy in Mumbai, India
Diagnostic laparoscopy is a type of surgical procedure in which a telescope is inserted into the abdomen through a narrow tube called a trocar. This procedure is used to visualize the abdomen internally. The image of the abdomen is seen on the TV screen of the monitor. This is usually a diagnostic procedure which is used to find out a problem in the abdomen. At times, surgeons may be able to find the problem and correct it at the same sitting.
When is diagnostic laparoscopy performed?
Diagnostic laparoscopy is performed in the following cases:
- Pain in the abdomen: A diagnostic laparoscopy is useful to diagnose the cause of acute or chronic pain in abdomen. Some of the causes for pain in abdomen can be- appendicitis, adhesions in the abdomen, obstruction, endometriosis, bleeding, cancer and so on. During a diagnostic laparoscopy, surgeons can find out the cause as well as treat it too.
- Tissue biopsy: Sometimes patients who have an abdominal mass, may need a diagnostic laparoscopy for taking a tissue biopsy. Tissue biopsy helps to determine the nature of the mass and facilitates to decide the line further management.
- Ascites: Sometimes a diagnostic laparoscopy may be performed to find out the cause of ascites.
- Cancer staging: A diagnostic laparoscopy can be performed for cancer staging or for second look for a previously treated disease.
- It is an important diagnostic tool for the abdomen when all other investigations are in-conclusive.
What are the necessary tests before a diagnostic laparoscopy?
All routine tests based on the clinical evaluation of the patient are to be done before a diagnostic laparoscopy.
What kind of anesthesia is required for a diagnostic laparoscopy?
Usually, it is performed under general anesthesia. Sometimes based on the clinical status of the patient, local anesthesia with sedation may be used.
Cost of diagnostic laparoscopy surgery in Mumbai
Cost of diagnostic laparoscopy surgery varies from hospital to hospital. We are associated with multiple hospitals and believe that quality treatment must be accessible to all. After your consultation we will guide you about the best possible option for your surgery.
Insurance coverage for diagnostic laparoscopy surgery in Mumbai
Diagnostic laparoscopy is usually covered by health insurance.
Frequently asked questions
Is diagnostic laparoscopy painful?
Diagnostic laparoscopy usually entails 2 to 3 tiny sub centimeter cuts through which the entire procedure is carried out. As the cuts are very small, the pain level is also low. Recovery is faster, however depends on the primary health condition of the patient as well.
Can it lead to any complications?
Complications after diagnostic laparoscopy are the same as any other diagnostic procedure. Though the chances of having a complication are very low, it depends on the primary health condition of the patient.
When can a person get back to work after this surgery?
Like any other laparoscopic procedures, one can get back to work within a week from the operation. However, final clearance will be given by your treating surgeon.